Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Motorhome Improvements Pt 1

As you may have well guessed, a super cheap vintage motor home usually comes with some things that need a little love and elbow grease.  I have actually been pleasantly surprised at how much is still in good shape, however.  We don't really know much about the history of our Bounder, but we do know that it was at one time smashed by a tree during a hurricane.  It apparently took out much of the bedroom as we noticed a different and newer wall and ceiling material. Whoever did the repairs seems to have done a pretty good job, so that was cool.

Apparently, the hurricane damage must have "totaled" so we have what is known as a "salvage title".  These terms don't really mean much to me since I am the product of my grandfathers and father.  We fix stuff and make it work.  It is in our nature, and I am proud of the men in my family who have taught me how to be handy.

So here is a little rundown of the things that Katie and I first decided to fix or upgrade on the Bounder:
-CLEAN EVERYTHING
-New coat of elastic roof paint
-New carpet and vinyl flooring
-New window coverings
-Fix rear window latches
-Fix screen doors
-Install switches on various 12 volt applications
-Replace light bulbs and lamp shades
-Get appliances running clean and smooth

Dang that sounds like a lot!  Its not really that bad though, since we will be living in the comfort of out apartment (which is really not that much bigger than the RV) until July.  In the meantime we just take trips down to Jamesville where we visit the in-laws and do some fixin.  We have made a couple of those aforementioned trips and here's what has gone down:


The first thing we wanted to fix was the roof.  The seller told us that it was due for a new coat of elastic roof paint and that there were a couple of minor leaks that we should be able to patch up.  So I went to Lowes and picked up the best and most expensive roof coating that they carry.  I did some quick math and realized that it would take an enormous amount, so I went ahead and got a 5 gallon bucket.  Katie loves to paint so I got her set up and let her do her thing.  She did a great job, and as you can see it looks way better.


The 88' Bounder is the only motorhome to have a flat roof.  That was a terrible idea.  Oh well, at least we got her all painted up.  I also went over and caulked up some seams where the vents and AC come through.

Katie found herself a nice little project-the futon.  The futon's cushions were all limp and really saggy.  Not fun.  So we picked up some upholstery from Ollie's and whipped out the staple gun.  She was able to get the old foam out and tediously stuffed the new, thicker foams in.  After slapping some staples in it, we had a revived and much more comfortable futon.  Good job babe!  (sorry I don't have a picture of that but trust me its better)

Just this past week, Katie and I were able to pick out the exact carpet and vinyl we want to redo the floors with.  We ended up getting them from Lowes, even though it was a little cheaper at Ollies.  The Bounder comes with carpet all around.  Even in the bathroom.  Our Bounder even came with dog-scented (and haired) carpet.  woot!  Even after much vacuuming the smell remained.  So I bought an 8'x12' roll of carpet and a 8'x 12' roll of fake wood vinyl and some trim stuff to make it look legit.

One of my greatest worries about the floor projects was that I would find rotten floor or wall to wall carpet.  *wall to wall carpet is where they build a motorhome's floor then carpet it, THEN build cabinets and walls ON TOP OF THE CARPET!  This construction technique is stupid but it happens from time to time.  PTL that this Bounder had its carpet installed with staples and not under anything!  So far it has come up with little to no fuss!  Currently, I am about 45% finished with pulling the old carpet.  In fact, I am about to go pull up the rest right now!  I'll try to remember to take some photographs of our progress.  

1 comment:

  1. Second hand camper trailers are a great option for those who don't want to pay the full retail price for new camper trailers. valutazione camper caravans international

    ReplyDelete