Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Motorhome Improvements pt. 2

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!  I got a new laptop for Christmas!  This post is brought to you in part by all those who contributed to the Get Dave A Macbook For Christmas Fund.  Thank you!

So as I concluded my last post, I headed out to the Bounder and rolled up my sleeves.  Here is a look at what went down. Note: these were taken with my BlackBerry and without flash they look kinda lame.


 The Kitchen floor had already been pulled up, so we started there and worked back towards the cab.  It was a messy process as the carpet was full of dust and dirt, which slingshots into your face as you pop the staples up.  Fun fun!



Here is a closer look at those blasted staples.  They are 1 inch long staples, common to mobile home construction.  Katie and I both got nasty blisters from pulling the 8000 little suckers up.  Even though they drove us crazy, I was glad that they didn't use glue to put the carpet down.



Katie put herself to work cleaning the walls of the coach whilst I fought the staple war.   We were both surprised/disgusted at the amount of dust that was removed from the walls.  She did good, and I'm glad that its cleaner.

Tadaa.  Here's a look at the new carpet and vinyl!  So far, the living room, kitchen, and dining rooms are the only rooms with floors finished.  We put down the carpet with staples and the vinyl with some glue that was graciously donated by our siblings.  I've started installing quarter round trim as a baseboard, which really makes it look sharp.  My favorite bit is the transition strip.



A closer look at the transition.  We chose a berber carpet that looks nice and is durable.  Hopefully, it will last the rest of the life of the motorhome.  You can see in this picture a new socket set that we had to purchase.  I'll tell you why:

So to rip up the carpet in the bathroom, we need to pull up the toilet.  The toilet installed in our motorhome is made by Thetford and seems to be an industry standard.  Anyways, to remove the toilet one must use a super long extension with a 1/2" deep socket to reach the mounting bolt which is only accessible via a tiny hole in the back.  No big deal, right?  Well dad-in-law had a set of deep sockets, but just happened to be missing the 1/2" socket.  So we searched and looked and asked brother-in-law, but to no avail.  Katie and I ended up running to Walmart to see if we could pick up a cheap set, but somehow Walmart was out of only deep SAE sockets.  BAH!  We were able to find a 1/2" deep socket, but it was just included in a big box set so we bought it for $25.  Oh well, at least I have more tools.

We haven't done any more work since Christmas, but we did take it for a drive to Roper and back.  The thing runs like a champion.  It is so fun to drive and share with other people.  K bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment